Sunday 30 August 2015

The September Issue

I'm embarrassed to say that I completely forgot to write yesterday! I haven't gotten in a consistent schedule yet (actually I have no routine at all, which is terrible) so it's easy for me to forget to write. Well, there's nothing to be done. The past is past, and it's up to me to continue writing.

I've been in a rut recently. I have absolutely no drive or energy. I feel like a slug, lying on the floor. My days are monotonous and I can't seem to get excited about anything. I'm not really sure what to do about this, except eat better, exercise more and try to get into a routine. Last week I saw a lot of people, which left me drained. This week I saw no one, which also left me drained. There's no big event that I'm looking forward to that gives me energy. It's up to me to fill my days with meaningful activity, but right now I'm struggling.

I watched the September Issue on Netflix today. It's a documentary on Anna Wintour, and how Vogue prepares for its September issue. This was the only thing that give me the slightest inspiration today. I love beauty, though I don't think I have great taste for myself. I'm not fashionable, and I don't have any style. Still, I find beauty to be very touching. I like looking at beautiful things, reading beautiful things and hearing beautiful things. That's why I like Memoirs of a Geisha and Okanokumo so much.

It was very interesting to get an insight into the fashion industry. I actually don't care about the fashion world at all. I don't know care about fashion week, look at the newest seasons of clothes or know about the 'it' models. Still, it was interesting to see what employees at Vogue actually do. The fashion industry is a big business after all, that generates lots of revenue and employs lots of people, so from that perspective I enjoyed getting a glimpse of how it operates.

I liked learning about Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington's personalities. Anna is a fascinating woman. She's very interesting looking, and she has incredible presence. People accuse her of being cold, but I admire her for it. Personally, I find it very hard to be reserved. I think I come across as nice, and sometimes unconfident. I am learning how to resist jumping into conversations unnecessarily to fill empty silences. Anna on the other hand comes across as confident. That isn't to say awkward things don't happen to her- they do, but she simply doesn't react. She is so confident in herself that she doesn't feel the need to fix them. It's very powerful.

Grace is the opposite of Anna. She's outwardly passionate about what she does, and she comes across as warm and caring. I love the parts where they focus on her choreographing photoshoots. Everyone says she's a genius, and they're right. Her photographs are imaginative and beautiful, like a dreamworld. I also admire her personality. Anna's personality is far from mine, but realistically I think I am more like Grace. One day I hope I can be the type of woman she is- someone who is warm and strong and enthusiastic.

Overall, I recommend watching The September Issue. It's interesting, and lovely to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment