Wednesday 26 August 2015

Networking issues...

Today I am not giving advice. I am asking for advice. I am having networking issues at my work. I need to network with people within my department to find out what projects are coming up, so I can make sure I get on projects I like. The problem I have with this is:

1) I am not interested in any projects, as I don't have an industry or IT focus
2) messaging people without having an interest seems disingenuous
3) I feel like there are too many competitive people in my department, and it makes me feel nervous and awkward

I know I am great at building relationships one-on-one in calm atmospheres. Thinking about building shallow, temporary relationships for projects I like makes me nervous, and it makes me especially nervous when I know people will gossip about me if I make a bad impression. I need to learn how to network in an authentic way that I am comfortable with.

I'll think about this tonight. Expect a blog post on this subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment