Wednesday 19 August 2015

Margaret Pyke Centre

Today I went to the Margaret Pyke to discuss my contraception choices. The Margaret Pyke centre provides contraception and sexual & reproductive health services. Here is a link to their website.

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/9vZ5cofihKISldW6fOrGrw/348s.jpg

It hasn't been easy for me to find suitable contraception. I started the 'mini pill' when I was 18, which is a progesterone-only hormonal pill. At the time, I had no side effects. I stopped using the pill after I got out of a long term relationship, and then used condoms. I started using the mini pill when I started a long-term relationship, but unfortunately I had side effects including acne and mood swings. This became unbearable, and I stopped for several months. I then decided to go on the combined pill, which contains both progesterone and oestrogen. This again caused mild acne (though it was supposed to regulate it), and also caused mood swings. I continued using this pill until I woke up one night and had a panic attack, at which point I decided to stop using it.

Credits:http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02180/pill_2180578b.jpg

After researching my options, I considered the copper IUD. I went to an initial consultation appointment at the Margaret Pyke centre, where I was recommended the Nuvaring as an alternative. The Nuvaring was a 'compromise' between the IUD and hormonal birth control, as it contains localised hormones and doesn't involve the insertion process. I have been using the Nuvaring for a year and am pleased with it overall. Recently, I've been considering the copper IUD as I'd prefer to use a birth control without hormones (I think the hormones from the Nuvaring are still affecting my skin, albeit mildly) and the copper IUD is also safer and less hassle. I would no longer have to replace my Nuvaring every 3 weeks and get my prescription filled- the copper IUD lasts for 10 years.

credits: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7f/Real_nuvaring.jpg

I had a very good experience at the Margaret Pyke centre. The one near Kings Cross opened fairly recently, and is a very modern and comfortable clinic. I had to wait an hour for my appointment, but it wasn't a huge inconvenience as I had booked the morning off. The Margaret Pyke centre is one of the only sexual health services clinics in London, and it's understandable that it's overbooked. After an hour of waiting, I was met by a very friendly doctor who spoke to me in detail about the copper IUD, the insertion process and the risks and benefits. I had done extensive research previously online so I knew most of this information, but I did learn some new things! For example:

- the Gynefix has the same expulsion rates as the normal copper IUD. The insertion process is also more complicated, and also more painful as the Gynefix has to be 'stabbed' into the uterus to get it to stay in place! After the word 'stabbed' was used, I immediately decided to go for the copper IUD. No stabbing for me, please!

- tampons can be inserted 48 hours after the IUD is inserted.

- you don't need to be on your period when the IUD is inserted.

Credits: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1433648/images/o-IUD-facebook.jpg

These are some common misconceptions I had read on the Internet, so I was pleased to have these rectified. The doctor who spoke to me was kind, open and straightforward. I also asked her questions about smear tests, and doing a STI checkup. I felt I was able to open up to her, and I trusted she would give me a frank, non-judgemental reply. I didn't feel rushed or nervous during my appointment, though I had been a little nervous beforehand. She said that the clinic was so busy it could be open 24/7 and still be over-booked, so I'm very happy that she didn't try to rush through the appointment.

Overall I was happy with the Margaret Pyke centre. For sexual health services, it's important to be in an environment that is open, friendly and non-judgemental and I think the Margaret Pyke centre achieves this. It's important to bear in mind that it is a public health centre so it's likely there will be some delays or inconveniences. Still, the centre is actually very nice and I didn't mind waiting in the waiting room, which was clean and spacious and had a very nice coffee machine and TV.

Fortunately, sexuality is a less touchy subject in the UK than it is in other places, like the US. I'm very grateful that there are services like these available publicly, and I think it's a necessity for any society. For some reason, morality has been linked with women's sexuality throughout history, and there are still vestiges of this remaining. From my experience, I certainly felt pressure to 'remain pure'  and not act like a 'slut.' These views are damaging for everyone- for women, who are trapped in these double standards, and even for men, who are viewed as animals with an uncontrollable need for sex. These views trap us in limiting stereotypes, and results in ignorance and fear. Here is an article about a birth control study in Colorado, which resulted in teenage pregnancy dropping by 40%, and abortions dropping by 42% over the course of the 6 year study. It's great that there are services like this available, and I'm reminded how lucky I am to have them available to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment